The coronavirus outbreak is challenging communities, relief organizations and healthcare systems throughout the world. Here is the latest update on how Baxter is responding and providing support to hospitals, healthcare providers and patients.
"Baxter’s Mission is to Save and Sustain Lives, and that commitment guides everything we do – even when the obstacles seem greatest. Our hearts go out to all the individuals and families whose lives have been shaken by the impact of COVID-19. Our medically essential products put us on the front lines of this pandemic, and our employees power our ability to make a difference. We are fully focused on the health and safety of our Baxter colleagues, who are fully committed to addressing the needs of patients, clinicians and communities worldwide."
Joe Almeida, Chairman and CEO
- Maintaining Product Supply: Our India manufacturing operations are running at planned levels. We are proactively managing our inventory levels, stock levels in warehouses and transportation options, so we can act quickly as the situation changes. We expect increased demand for some products to continue and are monitoring customer ordering patterns to help ensure product availability for all of our customers. In addition our work over the last few years to strengthen and expand our manufacturing network further helps us manage unprecedented situations like these, Baxter continues to monitor its supply chain closely in response to the COVID-19 and with regular advisory from MOHFW, Government of India to local state administration w.r.t facilitating Warehouse & Transportation movement across the country we do not foresee any supply risk of Baxter products across hospitals & patients.
There are currently no major supply shortages as a result of coronavirus and no immediate risk to raw material or Baxter medical devices manufactured globally. There are no Baxter manufacturing facilities in Wuhan Province, China, and all Baxter manufacturing operations outside of India are currently in operation. While there are travel restrictions levied by many countries for passenger movements resulting in cancellation of flights but still cargo movements through Air, Ocean and Trains are ongoing for material movements. We are trying to build contingency planning for some of the logistics challenges & transit delays we foresee due to heightened restrictions during lockdown period which has been extended to 3rd May 2020. We have also reinforced our channel partners/ distributors, hospitals & patients on need to maintain adequate inventory levels so that Doctors & Patients do not miss on critical therapy needs in coming weeks.
- Donations for Humanitarian Relief: The business and employees are partnering in providing financial support to COVID support organizations. Our people are contributing financially to support the local charities of their choice to support COVID affected communities. The company is utilizing its CSR funds to support the National COVID support programs; PM Care Fund, State Disaster Management Funds and adopting other measures to directly impact the communities in and around our immediate environment. We are also supporting our Global initiative, the Baxter International Foundation, through which we’re providing financial support to multiple groups addressing the needs of patients, health workers and communities at local, national and global levels. This includes grants to United Nations Foundation/WHO COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund and many others. Our contributions will help advance efforts to manage and mitigate disease spread, activate telemedicine opportunities, mobilize critical supplies for healthcare workers—and more.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): PPE, such as gloves, masks and gowns, is in high demand by healthcare professionals and companies like Baxter, as our infection control procedures require manufacturing, technical and clinical employees to wear PPE while on the job. We have worked collaboratively with our national network of suppliers to significantly ramp up the amount of PPE available for our employees.
- Critical Support for Healthcare Providers: Our team is providing frontline assistance to healthcare providers as they manage the influx of critically ill patients requiring care. We are using virtual tools for training and individualized clinical support for nurses and physicians while maintaining all the safety parameters.
- Supporting Dialysis Patients: We continue to meet the needs of our home dialysis patients by supplying dialysis fluids through our distributors to patients and also supplying directly against government procurements. Our Supply Chain department as well as distributors are taking extra precautions for infection control to protect our patients and themselves. Our Clinical service team is working remotely via all available options like Video/Audio/Phone to help patients take therapies as normal. If you need any help related to peritoneal dialysis , please call Renal Home Care Services at 18001021110
- Protecting Our Employees: We immediately activated our response plan to protect our employees’ health and safety across all Baxter facilities. Our plan follows the guidelines provided World Health Organization and Indian Government which includes steps such as symptom screening at building entrances, use of respiratory protection for key personnel, and restricting visitors at facilities. Our manufacturing employees continue to go above and beyond to help us continue to supply our life-sustaining products around the globe. Our existing flexible workplace policies have enabled our office- and field-based employees to work remotely while maintaining business continuity. Business travel has been completely restricted. All Baxter sites are currently prepared to implement additional measures should the need arise. We have COVID Taskforce which actively creates the advisories for the employees while monitoring the environment continuously.